All About Virgin Hair Wigs And Extensions, And Accessories » hair extensions
Do you watch the stars on the red carpet and wish for the beautiful long locks they make look so glamorous? With the magic of hair extensions, you too can have the flowing hair you desire.
Know Your Hair Type
Do you know your hair type? Don’t worry, most people think they do, but they really don’t. A lot of the quality product lines have hair quizzes on their product pages, so you can determine what shampoo, conditioner, and other products are right for you. To determine your hair type, you need to consider:
- Hair texture: Straight, wavy, curly, coils
- Hair structure: Fine, medium, thick (coarse)
- Hair porosity: Ability to absorb product and moisture
- Scalp moisture: Oily, normal, dry
The Best Products for Your Hair Type
The hair care aisle at any retailer can be dizzying, as can the different hair types depending on your texture, structure, porosity, and scalp moisture. And it all depends on what your specific product goals happen to be. Some of the best products for hair extensions include:
- Olaplex No. 4 helps restore damaged hair.
- Eden BodyWorks peppermint tea tree for scalp rejuvenation.
- OGX renewing argan oil of Morocco is amazing for coarse hair.
- Adama Ancient Minerals Shampoo can be used every day and will not weigh down fine hair.
- Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil moisturizes and transforms.
- Paul Mitchell Lemon Sage Thickening Conditioner makes each strand feel fuller without weighing it down.
- Pureology is great for colored hair and leaves it lush and silky.
- Mizani Moisture Fusion uses a blend of cupuacu butter, argan oil, and honey for deep conditioning.
- DevaCurl One Condition nourishes hair with botanicals and olive oil.
- Kerastase Masquintense is an awesome hydrating hair mask.
Best Care Practices for Hair Extensions
Quality hair extensions are an investment, so you want to make sure that they look good and last as long as possible, and that they do not damage your natural hair. Set an extension routine right from the start. Make sure that you:
- Keep your extensions moisturized with a quality conditioner.
- Use proper hair extension products. Do not use anything with sulfates or alcohol.
- Dry shampoo is a hair-extension girl’s best friend.
- Store clip-ins correctly and immediately upon removal. Proper storage includes:
- Making sure all clips are closed.
- Brushing the set.
- Storing in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
- Making sure they are completely dry.
- Limit washing your hair extensions to only when there is product build-up or if they are looking limp and dull.
How to Keep Extensions from Drying Out
We cannot emphasize enough the importance of keeping your extensions from drying out, so let’s discuss this a little further. A good routine is to:
- Soak your extensions in warm water.
- Wash with a clarifying shampoo.
- Rinse with cold water until all shampoo is removed.
- Gently comb in a small amount of leave-in conditioner.
- Let your extensions air dry. (And avoid blow-drying when possible.)
- Use a heat protectant spray if you must blow-dry or heat-style.
How to Wash Your Hair with Permanent Hair Extensions
The less you wash your extensions, the longer they will last. Of course, this will depend on your scalp type and activity level. No hair extensions are actually permanent, but some of the long-lasting attachment methods are:
- Micro-linked (small metal tubes)
The key is just to be gentle and careful when washing your hair in the shower. Do NOT flip your head upside down or wash your hair in a sink, as this can damage your extensions. Stand up straight under the showerhead and wet your hair.
Remember, you should:
- NOT scrub hard at the attachment bond.
- Scrub the roots of your hair at the crown and around the face.
- Bring shampoo suds down with your hands and gently caress the strands of hair all the way to the ends. Extensions do not produce oil, so they need very little washing.
- Condition your ends if necessary, avoiding the bonds. Conditioners can cause them to loosen or interfere with glue or fusion.
- Do not wrap your hair in a towel; this can cause damage. Pat your hair dry carefully.
- It is important to dry bonds as soon as possible, so you may want to use a blow-dryer with a diffuser to dry your roots.
Dressed to The Nines
The Nines Wigs is your source of quality and fashionable natural and virgin hair extensions and wigs.
Check out our amazing selection of textures, structures, styles, and colors today.